The Rattle

The Student News Site of North Canyon High School

The Rattle

The Rattle

Happy Black History Month, Rattlers!

In February 1926, Carter G. Woodson launched the celebration of “Negro History Week,” the precursor of Black History Month, also known as African American History Month. Black History Month was primarily celebrated by African Americans to honor their contributions to American culture, and to preserve records of African American life. In 1976, Black History week became a month-long celebration to honor Frederick Douglass and Abraham Lincoln, who both fought for civil rights, and whose birthdays both fall in the month of February.

As of today, people of all ethnicities celebrate Black History Month. Think of an influential African American that may have inspired you (ex: in the areas of sports, music, science, art, education, media, civil rights, etc.). This month I would like to honor Carter Godwin Woodson, also known as the Father of Black History Month. He was an American historian, author, journalist, and the founder of the Association for the Study of African American Life and History. He was one of the first scholars to study the history of the African diaspora, including African American history.

What Black History Month means to me is to reflect on the contributions Black and African Americans have made to American culture and throughout the world. I see these influences through music, hairstyles, clothing, sports, and much more! I hold a sense of pride for those contributions, and to the many who fought so hard so that we can ALL have equal rights. I am grateful for my ancestors’ strength and determination. I pay homage to them and the allies that stood beside them, because it couldn’t have been done alone. I celebrate Black History not only this month, but year-round.

Donate to The Rattle

Your donation will support the student journalists of North Canyon High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.